Form 1023 is an application for recognition of exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Nonprofit organizations seeking to apply for tax-exempt status under IRC 501(c)(3) must file form 1023.
How to file Form 1023
Under IRS Revenue Procedure 2020-5, the IRS now stipulates that applications for exempt organization must be filed electronically. Applications can only be submitted once your organization has obtained an Employee Identification Number (EIN).
Note that this means that your complete application for tax exemption will be available to the public on the IRS website, or posted on sites such as GuideStar etc.
Types of Organizations Eligible to file Form 1023
- Educational or literary organizations.
- Religious or charitable organizations.
- Amateur sports competitors.
- Organizations created to prevent and fight cruelty to children or animals.
- Scientific organizations together with organizations that test for public safety.